For any development permit holders interested in taking advantage of the two-year extension offered under HB 7023 (codified as Laws of Florida ch. 2014-218), there are some important rules to remember as the notification deadline of December 31, 2014 quickly approaches:
- The permit you are seeking to extend must expire between January 1, 2014 and January 1, 2016;
- The extension applies to approvals such as local development permits including development orders, building permits, DEP and environmental resource water management district permits;
- The extension does not apply to approvals such as Army Corps of Engineers permits or consumptive use water management district permits;
- If you have previously extended this permit under two (2) of the prior legislative extensions, for a total extension of four (4) years, you cannot utilize this extension provision; and
- You must provide written notification to the agency who issued the permit by December 31, 2014 (some jurisdictions require a fee while others do not).
Many jurisdictions have information on this extension noted on their websites, or you may check with your consultant or attorney to determine if your permit is eligible for this extension.